As a video with h265 can have a size divided by 2 for the same quality, i think that knowing how to convert video to h265 without changing anything else is a good things
If we want to re-encode just the video streams, but copy all the other streams (like audio, subtitles, attachments, etc), we might use something like this:
It will tell ffmpeg to:
- read the input file 'input.mkv'
- select all the input streams (first input = 0) to be processed (using "-map 0")
- mark all the streams to be just copied to the output (using "-c copy")
- mark just the video streams to be re-encoded (using "-c:v libx265")
- write the output file 'output.mkv'
The "-crf 23" part should be adjust with your quality wish, the better the quality is, the slower the conversion will be.
For your help i've prepared a script that will handle this command for you and can take jocker "*" :
Good conversion !